Friday, April 24, 2009

Didgeridoo


The music in Australia is one of the things I will always remember about this country.

(I'm a musician myself and have always considered music to be one of the simple joys of life). I don't think I'll ever forget the sounds of the Australian Didgeridoo's. We heard them many times as we traveled along the coast.



I'd have to agree (as Aborigine's do) that the Didgeridoo's do MORE than just express music. (sounds like I'm shearing sheep again).



I found them to have a "magical quality" as I listened to them in the hands of an expert. The Aborigines consider them "sacred" because of the unique 'tonal' qualities the instrument. Most tribes only allow the men to play the Didgeridoo's.



When looking for the wood to make these instruments, it's necessary to 'rap' the tree with a stick. When you hear the 'hollow' sound of the wood, you've got the right tree. (it's caused by termites). They eat the "center of the trees" and leave a resonant structure which produces the didgeridoo's unique qualities.


Tree's cut at different lengths produce varying 'pitches'. Bee's wax is used to create a mouthpiece on the end of the instrument. So much for the technical side.....



But the 'art' is the 'technique' of the musician!




A good player can produce sounds from this instrument for as long as an hour by using a technique called "circular breathing". He actually (I know this sounds contradictory) exhales air from his lungs and inhales 'in' through his 'nose' at the same time! This takes a LOT of practice and sounds impossible to most people.


The 'drone' sound is created in this manner and they have developed techniques to mimic the sounds of the animals in the bush. I can visualize many of the Kangaroos, Dingo's, and all kinds of exotic birds, as they imitate their sounds with the Didgeridoo's.




They're used especially in ceremonial dances and gatherings before hunts. I found the spear to especially interesting. With an extended wooden hook, they can throw these so fast that they quiver as they travel through the air.



You never want to find yourself on the receiving end of one of these. They're very deadly and very accurate!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really loved reading all the entries on that site, as well as viewing the photos. You not only did a top rate job of highlighting the fun you had, but you also have included lots of fascinating information. Even though I have been to Australia three times and spent a year walking across it, I still learned several new things about the Didgeridoo and the Tasmanian Devils. You've certainly traveled to some very interesting places. I especially envied your trip to Alaska. That's one place I need to get to yet.

Steve