Monday, April 13, 2009

Campfire


I've always envied those that have this skill. (especially when they make it look this easy).
Believe me....it's NOT an easy thing to do, it takes a LOT of time to make "starting a campfire" using this method. (only about 3 minutes in the hands of a professional).


I spend a LOT of time outdoors, and routinely build a fire in a "cold drizzling rain" but my son and I have some nice rock overhangs in the woods. We keep "dry kindling" and small bundles of "dry wood" just for this occasion. (and we use a butane lighter) I've always said "fire" can be your "best friend" or your "worst enemy". It depends on how you control it and which way the wind is blowing.



Here's some "real professionals" creating a warm fire for dinner and to stave off the night chill in the middle of Australia.

They make it look SO easy....It would be a VERY good thing to have these guys with you out in the "bush". They're masters at surviving, with a little bit of nothing. They don't need matches, and can snare, trap, and gather all the necessities they need in the outback.
And be comfortable while doing it.
We've lost these skills living in the modern world today.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply wonderful. I have such respect for men such as these, who are so competent at what they do. These survival skills are much the same as our grandmothers knew....just a different sort. I think of my mother (you would have loved her !!) who could raise the fruits and vegetables, "put up" the peaches and jams, really live off the land. Altho I grew up watching her, I don't know how to do any of those things. And tell me, the white paint on the bodies of these men.... does it signify anything in particular? Their tribe? Their job? A particular holiday etc? And are these Aborigines?

The kangaroo were enjoyable, and I was amazed at the size of their feet !!

Thanks for the travelogue. Great to see the world along with you folks.

Corinne

Anonymous said...

Yes...they are true Aboribines. Too often we make the mistake of thinking our "modern lives" are alwyas the best lives. There's always the tendency to "change people for the better".

The markings on these people DO signify membership in a family or large group. It reminds me of the "hats" and "clothing" people in South America wear to identify themselves.

JSpiker