Monday, January 08, 2007

Camels



When you see these guys in the desert, it’s time to fun for the hills!

(Actually this is one of the good guys)

This was the tourist police and it was his job to keep the panhandlers off you as you viewed the pyramids. The panhandlers here were the most aggressive I’ve ever seen anywhere in the world.

Every Egyptian panhandler knows these three phrases….

1) Shake my hand.
2) I am your friend.
3) Pay me. Pay me.

These are the Bad Guys….


They would literally place items in your hands and want paid for them.
This is free….just for you…I am your friend.
Five minutes later it was pay me….pay me….pay me.

Those unfortunate enough to be conned into getting a picture taken sitting on their camel found out it cost 10 Egyptian Pounds..... But that was just for getting "on the camel"….it cost 20 Egyptian Pounds to get "off the camel".

When a camel stands up you could easily break a leg jumping 15 feet to the ground.

If the camel jockeys got to be too much to deal with….someone would yell for the camel police to rescue them and the camel police would get real rough with them. They would whack them with a long stick.

Some would say it was all a big game….but I don’t think so.

My personal advise is “Don’t Get on The Camels” !!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I think there is more to this story! I always enjoy your pictures.