Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Boats in the Sand

This is a funny place to find a boat but there were several of these buried in the sand near the Pyramids. The Egyptians wanted their leaders to have everything they needed in the next world.

I found a lot of things confusing to me while we were here. Some of the smaller buildings we explored had writings carved into the walls that were thousands of years old. I was able to reach out and touch them. It was perfectly acceptable to do this but we weren’t allowed to take pictures of them.

I’m sure, only seeing this small area, I didn’t get a real perspective of life here on a daily basis but I imagine it is very difficult to live in this city.

Egypt is very poor, congested, polluted, and over populated. Sanitation was horrible and life seemed quite chaotic at times. There are millions of people living in Cairo and I saw very little organization or government.

I’ve been asked many times how I think the pyramids were built and my explanation is SAND ......there’s plenty of it here. As a matter of fact….it’s about the ONLY thing here.
You can build sand ramps and slide these big stones along them for miles.

Before leaving, we took a boat along the Nile and ate lunch while on the water.
Water is everything…and without it life will cease to exist.
I wonder how long it will be before we are all fighting over it…

Life is simple here….I’ve always believed the more simple the better but there is a point where it crosses the line. Our natural resources and its ability to support the population is a line not to cross. Poverty of this kind is a breeding ground for revolution.

No comments: