Saturday, November 25, 2006

Windmills

I couldn't get the Bob Dylan lyrics out of my head as I watched the windmill blades whirling round on these mammoth steel beams.

How many times must a man look up, before he can see the sky?
How many years can a mountain exist, before it's washed to the sea?
The white dove sails and the hawks fly as we shake our heads and wonder how many roads we must all walk down before we can hear the answer blowing in the wind.

I've got mixed feelings as I frightfully view the colossal structures before me.
Our dependence on fossil fuel is becoming more dangerous every day, and in order to keep the Cannonballs from flying, we MUST become more responsible users of our energy. How many times can a man turn his head, pretending he just doesn't see?

I see the similarity of Bob Dylan's thoughts and fears of industrial mechanization in today's life. How many times have you seen hundreds of cars, in rush hour traffic, with ONE person behind the wheel? How many gas guzzling speedsters at 80 miles an hour in a 60 mile zone? Where is it going to end my friend?
Forests are madcap, uncultivated, and disorderly. That's why symmetrical, orderly windmills seem so out of balance in nature.

I certainly don't have all the answers but coal burning power plants ruffle a lot of feathers too.

I don't like to see windmills OR power plant columns but they're a necessity and they are here to stay. You have to make a choice.

I'd much rather see these than strip mines and clear cut forests...

No comments: