Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Shaman

I attended a healing ceremony while in South America and was blessed by a Shaman.
They take this very seriously and it's considered an honor.
Before leaving the country, I was also allowed to feast on a Guinea Pig.
They only share this meal with the best of friends...
***********************************************************************************

A lot of people in South America consider the Shamans to be the leaders in the community. They are the doctors, psychologists, counselors, and therapists in small towns.

Life is not always what it seems to be and we saw many things that were unexplainable and many things I didn’t understand.

The Shamans believe cats have the ability to absorb harmful energy, without being harmed themselves. They pass it off without any danger to themselves or anyone.
That explains why you get such a nice feeling while petting a cat sitting on your lap.

One of the strangest things I saw in South America was the SKULLS of their ancestors sitting on the mantle of a small hut. It was much like placing the pictures of our relatives and loved ones on the fireplace of our homes.
Life is SO simple here and SO primitive at times.

I’ve camped and hiked most of my life in West Virginia and have been accustomed to cooking on an open fire, sleeping on the ground, and filtering my water before drinking from a stream.

This is the daily life for many people in Peru and Ecuador.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey js: I'm El Cabrero's cousin. I was reading his blog, and clicked your name on one of the recent comment pages. Just for the heck of it. Good move on my part. Your blog is so interesting. I envy you your travels. I loved that section on the equator. And the Galapagos....only very lucky people get to go there. Keep writing, I want to read more.
p.s. The toilet water sipping kitty is beautiful.

Jspiker said...

Hi Barb,
That cat knows all, see's all...pay no attention to that cat behind the curtain.
The land of OZ is near.

All kidding aside, I'm glad you're enjoying the blog!

Galapagos is coming soon...