Saturday, August 20, 2011

Moving on Down the River


There are some great towns along this waterway and the history of many of them span centuries. As most of Europe, boundaries have changed many times due to wars. In the early days, many rulers built elaborate castles to protect themselves from their enemies. An entire book could be written about each of them, if one choose to do so.  


Many of the towns in Germany were bombed into shambles during the second world war. Although not a large nation, Adolph Hitler came very close to ruling the world. He killed millions of innocent people in his own country. Fortunately, those days are in our past. I choose not to dwell on them and move forward.

Modern Germany has many good qualities. One of the best is their “mass transportation system”. I found most Germans to be well educated, very environmentally conscious, and very resourceful. Germans think in very “social” terms. They like music and cultural activities.


I think many of their lives can be both complex, or very simple. Myself, I like the simpler things in life. Although I saw several industrial sites along the river, I never noticed pollution spewing from them like here in America. Despite using electric to power their “mass transit” systems. I never once saw a coal powered power plant! (I’m sure they existed somewhere).

I did however, see many windmills and many solar powered homes.  Germany uses nuclear power, but with the recent accident in Japan, most of these have been shut down.



No comments: