Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Danube Waterway and Bicycles

Being a "biker" myself, the long paths, along the entire length of the Danube River made me long for a ride here myself. I was VERY impressed with their commitment to "basic transportation"; I think the bicycle is one of the worlds greatest inventions. Here's just one view of the "bike path" running along the river near a small town.


On this trip, I saw (literally) thousands of bikes, and hundreds of "families" riding together on the weekends along this long path. It was not unusual to see small kids, and even the family pet, being towed behind the bike on a little trailer, as they moved along the Danube River.


These "ramps" (just for bikes) were common along all the towns on the river. Although I saw a few families with the traditional bike panniers carrying a tent, stove, air mattress etc, most of them stayed at convenient "bed and breakfast" homes along the river.

The more I watched them, the more I envied them. In my mind, this would be the "ultimate" bike trip. I could envision riding a thousand miles along this river.





No comments: