Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Sky Tower


Every big city has it's "sky line" and Auckland is no exception. The Sky Tower is visible from anywhere in the city. (That's the tall cylinder structure in the center of this picture).

Our hotel was right next to it and we had dinner there one night. We watched the city slowly 'swirl' around beneath us from the revolving platform. As the restaurant moved around slowly (for a 360 degree view of the city) I couldn't help but notice a few "steel cables" draping down the sides towards the ground.


It finally dawned on me that this was the "jumping" platform where "adrenalin junkies" plummet 1,076 ft at 85 Kph in 11 seconds to the street below.

WOW....what a rush!

It's difficult to see from the above picture, but there is a guy "hanging" in thin air and about to begin the decent. (be sure to click on the "sky tower" link above to watch this show).

I clipped and pasted a "zoom in" so you can see him.


I actually thought about doing this for a moment.

When I turned 50, I bungee jumped (head first) off a 175 ft. crane in Charleston, as a celebration of gracefully aging . This jump was a little higher in the air.... (1,076 ft.)

I have no doubt I could have done it but wasn't so sure my heart would still be beating when I reached the ground.

I should wait until I'm at least 70 before trying this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see them, but I just waved to the guy who was diving down from the top of that "space needle" restaurant. One of those "better thee than me" moments.

The photos of the bikes reminded me of Florida, where all the busses would have a rack on the front of the bus, for the bicycles to hang..... people would prop their bikes on the rack, hop on the bus, and continue when they got off.
So very sensible. You get good ideas about how the rest of the world lives, thru travel.

Corrine