Friday, December 15, 2006

Ephesus

I was a young sailor when I visited here the first time. The propellers and drive shaft of my ship were destroyed in the harbor of Malta and we spent almost a month in dry-dock at Naples Italy.

I had been fortunate to visit Rome for a few days and explore the Vatican. I had been blessed by the Pope in St Peters Square and then my tour of duty in the Navy was finished and I returned to America.

This time, after spending a few days in Turkey, we sailed on smooth seas, and I would spend almost a week in the Mediterranean Islands.

Most people know the port of Ismir as the Biblical city of Ephesus. The apostle John and the Virgin Mary spent their last days here on the mountain above the city. The apostle Paul attempted to preach the gospel here.

On this passage of the Agean Sea, I would see places thousands of years old and visit many of the places the Apostles had preached before their deaths.

Earthquakes, time, and the receding sea have destroyed Ephesus but the remaining ruins still speak to us today. Centuries ago, this was the site of a magnificent library. Scholars from all parts of the Mediterranean would travel here to study. The Egyptians created papyrus to compete with them.

As we exited the arena and we walked down the path towards the sea, I could envision Mark Anthony and Cleopatra strolling towards the ships in the harbor.

In its best days, this was the busiest port in the area but now there is nothing but ruins. The sea is several miles away because it is full of silt and has become land.

This entire area is an open history book. Before we would leave this area, we would view the original Olympic arena and see many wonders. This is going to be a much different trip than the one in my Navy days. The Mediterranean Sea is a very interesting place and I am looking forward to seeing it through the eyes of an older person.

No comments: